LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON Author Unknown

"My father didn't like kids, he'd rather be alone doing his things. We were a nuisance to him! Now my teenagers are rebellious. Suddenly, I realize why my wife has complained all these years that I have neglected my own kids."

This father was distraught with his belated discovery. "Like Father, Like Son" is the proverb that came to mind. Is it a curse or a blessing?

Children will, in some way, duplicate their parents, especially in those areas of life where they were not formally taught--like parenting skills, how we react to marital frustration, family responsibilities, and even how to have fun.

As children, we also unconsciously imitate our parents: their values, hospitality, respect for each other, and their love for the Lord.

Moises pointed out how important each parent's role is in conveying who God is to his or her child.

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them
to your children and to their children after them." Deuteronomy 4:7-9

Our kids learn from us, even if we don't want them to. Can they learn about God from me? As children, we may have to unlearn the negative examples we have adopted unconsciously. Are there things I learned from them that stop me from fully appreciating who God is?

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP