ARE YOU ADOPTED? by Melanie Schurr

"And the child grew, and she brought him to Pharaoh's daughter, and he became her son; and she named him Moses, for she said, "Because I drew him out of the water." Exodus 2:10

I have a cousin who is adopted. While I have always regarded her in the same way I do any of my other blood relatives, she revealed to me that there was a period in her life she felt like she didn't really belong because she was not born into her family. When she would express these feelings to me, I would always remind her that her adoptive parents choosing her above all other children was proof that she was a very much wanted and loved child.

The word "adoption" is derived from its Latin meaning: option. When we have an option, we have a choice. In this case, there is the choosing of another person's child as one's own.

As we can see from the above Bible verse, the concept of adoption is ancient. However, just as there is earthly adoption, so too is there a spiritual adoption.

Those of us who repent of our sins partake of God's offer of eternal life and allow ourselves to be born again by the renewing of our spirits, are now children of God.

"But to all who received Him, who believed in His Name, He gave power to become children of God" John 1:12

God is our Father, and we are His children. We have become heirs of Jesus Christ, and share the bloodline of the Most High.

"you have received the spirit of son-ship. When we cry, "Abba! Father!" it is the Spirit Himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him" Romans 8:15-17

Although I am not adopted, there was a time when I was a young adult that I too felt disunity with my natural parents. There were moments when I too felt alone, and that there was no one that I could really talk to. My comfort, however, was found in my relationship with God. Whenever I felt low, I would remind myself of who I was. When you are a son or daughter of the Most High, and whose love is so rich, and family so vast, it is impossible to feel down for long.

If you are not yet a child of God, please know that our Heavenly Father is just waiting for you to come to Him. His love for you is already there, but the choice to grab hold of His outstretched hand must be yours, for God would never force His love on an unwilling heart.

Come, and be adopted into the body of Christ!

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP