FAMILIAR By Sally I. Kennedy

You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Psalm 139: 3

A few years ago, when non-native iguanas took up residence here in south Florida, the territory was unfamiliar to them. It was similar to the countries of their main habitat, and quickly they adapted, and settled in, reproducing rapidly.

In one particular palm tree in our back yard, there seems to have been a family of iguanas numbering several generations. I couldn’t say for certain, but it looks like the neon green babies, in the top fronds of the tree, make that “home base”, then nest and have their offspring in the same place.

Familiar…expected… routine… known. I like that. Perhaps a lot of
us
do. I guess the iguanas like what is familiar too.

Just yesterday I was dealing with a situation where I was getting
increasingly concerned about something in the probable future. Angst
began creeping in uninvited. I had to bring myself back to the moment.
Then I began praying, talking to the Lord…..You take care of me. You
have my best interests at heart. You sift things, have good plans for
me. Do I trust you? Do I? Really?

Bible verses. Promises of the Lord’s faithfulness and goodness, of His concern and taking good care of me began cropping up. Like Jeremiah 29:11, For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

His Word backs Him up, all the things we can hold onto, cling to, and trust. Maybe we will be heading into unfamiliar territory, but it’s not unfamiliar to Someone, thank God.

That’s good news.

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP