WHAT'S IN A NAME By Sally I. Kennedy

God gave him the name above all other names. Philippians 2:9

"Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but names can never hurt me."

Or can they? And if names can be hurtful, can they be helpful? Healing?

In some countries, people were named after their parents. For example, if you were Ben's son, you might be called Benson. Or Martin's son, Martinson. One of Jesus' names was Jesus Bar Joseph, Jesus son of Joseph.

The names used in the Bible often have spiritual significance and are descriptive of those persons. The name Isaac meant 'laughter', Moses drawn out of water, Sarah - 'princess', Eve 'life', David beloved. God has many names. A couple are Jehovah Jireh (the Lord who provides, Gen.22:14), and Jehovah Rohi (the Lord is my Shepherd, Ps. 23:1)

Do our names define us?

As believers, we can claim the names: redeemed, adopted, saved, set free, holy, set aside, healed, whole, chosen, sent, and Christian, follower of Christ.

I am thankful today, that whatever my given name, or how others have defined me, I am a child of the King!

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP