THE TONGUE THAT STINGS By Dr. Jeff Lee

"It is getting so red and swollen. Itches like crazy! What should I do?" The caller was frantic. An ant bite on her hand hours earlier had caused terrible suffering.

All of us have experienced the unexpected irritation and pain of insect bites. Yet, far worse than bug stings are the inconsiderate words from the loose tongue of another Christian; that pain lasts a lot longer.

Casual and unintentional remarks do great damages long after they are said and forgotten. I have committed my fair share.

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment. There is deceit in the hearts of those who plot evil, but joy for those who promote peace. Prov 12:18-20

Excuses like "I didn't mean it," "I was just trying to be funny," "But, that's me," and "People can't be so sensitive," are not good for us who are Christians.

Am I one who needs frequent reminder of the need of tongue control? Is it to say less or not say it at all? How do I deliberately choose my words to bring healing to someone? Are my words genuine, praising and encouraging?

"Try not to scratch it! You will only make it worse!" I told my friend. But, what should I do with injuries from the tongue of a Christian?

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP