ISLE OF LATER by Marion Smith

Sometimes we isolate ourselves on our own personal island, doing what we deem necessary to fulfill our lives. We get caught up with meal preparations, household chores, driving the children here and there, or spending extra hours pursuing our careers.

Recently I heard a sermon titled "The Isle of Later". As we sit on our island of what we think is important, many ships of opportunity come by, beckoning us to jump aboard and participate in their endeavor. We usually have good intentions. Saying" Oh, yes, that's a good cause... I'll do it later." I'll sing glorious songs to the Lord in the choir... later, when the issues in my life are not as demanding ; I'll teach Sunday school, minister to the elderly, be a coach, cook a meal for the needy, write a note of thanks to my minister or a friend, be a good listener to someone in need, or share the gospel story to someone... yes, I'll do it later ! When I have more time to give to these things.

Well, my husband and I have been to five funerals in the last month, and for these folks there was no later. Each died suddenly, not having time to "do" things of great importance which were probably on their "to do" list. These funerals have made me take a second look at what I deem meaningful. The first and foremost important thing is my relationship with God. Then, I want to spend my time wisely - using it in matters of eternal value. I want to show my love and respect to my husband, nurture my children and grandson with God's love, extend grace and mercy to those I encounter, pray for myself and others as I am led by the Lord, and invest my time here on earth sharing God's love and the gospel of Jesus Christ. I want to shed the superficial, let go of the non essential, and discard the selfish. From this day
on, my desire is to live each day as God directs me. If I do that, I know I will be on the right path.

How about you? I hope it doesn't take a funeral to jar you into the reality of the brevity of our time here, and the opportunity we have to use our time wisely - according to God's will. It may be time for all of us to reevaluate the priorities in our lives. Ask God today for direction. He will keep you off the Isle of Later.... Living each day for Him now!

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP