DON'T FIGHT THE HAMMER by Candace Simar

Lately things have been a little chaotic. My elderly mother is failing, my father-in-law is at death's door, and my aunt fell and broke her arm, ending up in a nursing home. All at once, everything was falling apart. difficult situations don't always bring out the best in me. I've been cranky and worried, hating the place in which
I find myself.

Yesterday was my birthday and until the last few years, Mom was always on top of everyone's birthdays. It's sad that she doesn't remember them anymore and so yesterday I phoned to remind her it was my birthday and to chat about how she was doing. She lives more than a hundred miles away and I don't visit her as much as I should. Instead of birthday wishes, we ended up arguing about her need for home care (my opinion) and her refusal of home care (her opinion). She threatened to run away if I arranged such care; end of discussion. It hurt my feelings and ruined my whole day.

This morning's Scripture puts things into perspective: "This is how the lamp stand was made: it was made of hammered goldfrom its base to its blossoms. The lamp stand was made exactly like the pattern the Lord had shown Moses." Numbers 8:4 NIV

It's not my imagination! I feel the pounding blows of a hammer; a big hammer. I feel blows that leave bruises and shake my foundation; blows that hurt; blows that knock me out of my complacency and force me to focus on what really matters. But at the same time, these blows are carefully aimed to create an object of beauty; a work of
art. They are not cruelly delivered without purpose. Every blow is measured against the template of His loving plan for my life.

I want to be that golden lamp that reflects His light. I want to be better than I am and more beautiful than I think possible. I wish to be useful and lovely. I want to be such a reflection of Jesus that people take notice. If it takes more hammering, I'm willing. I'll endure the process that makes me more like Him. I'll not fight the
hammer that transforms my life into the pattern the Lord has chosen - that breathtaking work of art that speaks to my world.

How about you? Are you fighting the hammer?

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP