ROOM CHECK By Sally I. Kennedy

Make room .. in your hearts. 2 Corinthians 7:2

Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought about them often. Luke 2: 19

I was away, out of town, and went to a local church to worship. Towards the beginning of the service, a family came up. It was explained they had a tradition there of lighting an advent candle each week before Christmas, as a reminder to check and make sure that Christ has a place in our heart.

The little boy stood by his dad, who lit a long match and handed it to his wife, who lit the advent candle. She lit it once, and the flame went out. She lit it again, and once more it went out. The third time she lit it, the flame flickered but did not go out.

It was a good reminder to me to do a room check. Am I am making a place for Christ in my heart?

I would have to admit that I do have room in my heart, however sometimes I have other things in that room- especially now at this busy season of the year. The room gets crowded. It gets to be time to re-evaluate my priorities.

Whenever I see candles burning this season – or anytime of the year - I hope I'm once again reminded to check and make sure there is room in my heart for Christ.

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP