DOUBLE WINDOWS By Sally I. Kennedy

I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Genesis 9:13

We were on our way to a business meeting. The morning was dismally gray and rush hour traffic was still bumper-to-bumper on the interstate. Christy was despondent. She shared with me how it seemed that her life was falling apart around her even as she was living it. I was listening, yet in my mind, I was trying to formulate words of encouragement for her.

Then we saw it! Right there in front of us. Double rainbows. Stretching all the way from far left to far right in the sky, one directly over the other. What a sight! Not just one, but two, with a messages proclaiming the gift of comfort and hope that God gives us because of His presence and His word.

Rainbows speak of a promise God gave a long time ago. After the flood that destroyed nearly all life (chapters 6-9 in the book of Genesis), God made a covenant, with Noah and his descendants, for all generations to come. The Lord said, `Never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth. This is the sign of the covenant.... I have set my rainbow in the clouds....whenever it appears...I will remember the everlasting covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth.'

Rainbows are the colors of God's love. God is light, and it's like His love and light are beautifully magnified and reflected, through the cloud moisture, into a visible arc of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet.

Do rainbows talk to us today? They did the talking for me that day my friend needed a good word! And each time we see one - or two! - we can be reminded of the faithfulness of God towards us. That is good news.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the visible signs You give us to help recall Your word and Your faithfulness. I praise you, Lord, for Your unending glory and goodness. Amen.

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP